Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Interview: Eddie Blum. Painter, Charters Towers

1. How do you describe yourself?


Eddie Blum has identified himself as a painter and artist since childhood. He began his artistic journey as a young child, gaining recognition and acceptance at school for the first time by having a talent for drawing. Blum used to paint his pain as a subject, but now has extended his range into landscape and commission work. Family is a very important part of his life, followed by art. Blum is an intense, passionate and empathetic artist, who sees words as another art form – poetry as alternative expression - complimenting his painting. Eddie is an active member of the Don Roderick Gallery Group.

2. How long have you been in Charters Towers and why?

Born in Richmond and “grateful to have been raised in a small close knit community that helped contribute to the person I am today”, Eddie Blum moved to Charters Towers when he was 16 to study art at school. In Richmond, he says he was lucky to have the support of Josephine Forster, an artist who moved to Richmond as a nurse and stayed upon marrying grazier John Forster. Blum views Forster as “a rare prolific talent ahead of her times, living in outback Queensland in an era when strong confidant professional female artists were not common anywhere in a traditionally male field.” Forster supported Blum to travel to Toowoomba at age 16 to meet Merryn (Merv) Moriarty, the founder of Flying Arts School. While he was in Toowoomba, his portrait was taken by photographer Ray Peek, and is published in Peek’s book A Peek at Life, images from 1947 to 2007. Now, Blum is working on further developing his painting skills and enjoying life with his family.

3. Favourite place

The top of Towers Hill is a favourite place to sit, reflect and plan with the family. Being able to overlook the town gives a different perspective on place and life.


View from Charters Towers Hill at Dusk - Eddie Blum

4. What gives your life meaning?

Family and Art are the two key parts to his life. With three children and lovely wife of 12 years, Mr Blum is a happy man. “I use my art as a way to give back to the community and help others,” Eddie states.

Outback Reflections - Eddie Blum


5. Inspiration?

Eddie works on up to 10 acrylic paintings at once, and then lives with them on his walls. “I can tell when they are finished because I’m ready to let them go”. The great masters of painting such as Reubens and Picasso always provide inspiration. “I watch art documentary’s over and over – and find something new each time”

In Eddie’s own words “I have painted and drawn since childhood. Now, I have found in art, purpose, and a future that I look forward to pursuing personally and professionally. As an artist I would like to capture the human condition and basic emotion in figurative, abstract representational forms.

Leichhardt Creek - Eddie Blum

It is this place in the human psyche where what we visualize is interwoven by what we interpret that we perceive. That distorts our perceptions of reality. Unlimitedly my mind finds interest, and I foresee my artistic future evolving.

Painting landscapes, exhibiting, being a part of learning new skills and techniques is where I find myself today.”

Fletcher Creek - Eddie Blum

3 comments:

  1. Eddie, your paintings are magic! Colours are vibrant, and very exciting.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eddy! I Love your work! While I was the school chaplain in Richmond, I had the privilege of meeting Mrs Forster a few times! I Also own some of her paintings. A Pity, I did not know about you, when I lived in Richmond, for I passed through C.T. several times! Never mind, may be one day.Greetings from New Zealand, Dirk.

    ReplyDelete